Janis Goes Low-Carb and Transforms Her health

Today, Janis shares her success story. If you would like to share your own story, click here. These will be published on Fridays as long as they keep coming.

I’m a 55 year old female, my husband is 65, both of us diabetic.


I’ve always leaned on the side of healthier eating with various results. But I found my family at a crossroads regarding health.


My husband was on insulin twice a day as well as meds for diabetes. He was continually getting worse and worse blood work up numbers. He was overweight.


Ditto for me on the poor blood work ups and weight gain.


Our daughter, 35, who lives with us (along with her two children) had gained like 60 lbs. in one year (those good old 30's).


I said “ok family, you want me to get us on a healthy diet, then you’re gonna have to do it my way”.


I had long been an advocate of low-carb dieting every since I heard, and researched, Dr. Atkins diet. It made sense 13 years ago and look, it’s being proven now.


So, I jumped into this whole thing. Found Kris’s site, Diabetes Warrior and many others, although this is my fav, started doing research (how did we function before Google!), and came to the conclusion that sugar is pure evil and wheat is the anti-Christ and low carb is the only way to go.


Fast forward 3 months. All three of us have lost more than 30 lbs. respectively. Feel fabulous, and best of all, my husband has been off of insulin from two weeks into this Lifestyle Change.


My husband went in a couple weeks ago for a blood work up and his doctor (old school drug pusher, can’t change doctors because he is a Veteran and goes to the VA) called and said “we did it John, we finally got your diabetes under control. Your numbers are great!”.


He had no idea John had quit taking insulin two months before. He never talked to my husband about diet, he said “eat less potatoes” when John questioned him about weight loss.


If John had told him what we have done he would have a fit. He would say its just an anomaly that John’s blood work numbers were good and to get back on that insulin! Funny huh!


Now my doctor, who is very pro low-carb, in fact she has lost a bunch of weight herself by eating low carb, was dancing around the office when she read me my blood work numbers last week.


It’s all better numbers than when I had tests done three months ago, and my blood sugar average was 5.5 which is great.


All three of us are active, work out now and have so much more energy. Are we convinced this is a great lifestyle? Hell yes!


Isn’t it hard to eat like that? How can you live without bread and potatoes? That’s just a fad diet because Dr. Oz and Paula Dean don’t talk about it on their shows!


You can’t feed your grandchildren that stuff. How can wheat be bad if the government says its good? Yeah, I’ve heard it all and more.


What I do is backed by research, my research.


It’s not a hard lifestyle, in fact I’m amazed everyday just how easy it has become. I shop in half the time or less. 90% of what’s in the grocery store is processed so I just bypass most isles, go to meat, dairy, produce and I’m out baby.


I do not miss bread and potatoes in the least anymore. This is so doable. I feel empowered.


Please, read up, do some research. Find a forum you’re comfortable with because they will be your best friend, your support, answer your questions and steer you in the right direction.


Don’t just sit there, do it now! See ya in the forum.


Janis (known as Loridae in the forum)


View the original article here

Post a Comment

0 Comments